Food Intolerances and Allergies

Food Intolerance

Food chemical intolerance can affect children of all ages. Symptoms may include recurrent hives and swellings, headaches, sinus trouble, mouth ulcers, nausea, stomach pains and bowel irritation and even unexplained fatigue, tiredness, feeling unwell or run down, irritability and restlessness, and behavioural problems.

Such symptoms may be triggered by food chemicals that cause reactions by irritating nerve endings in different parts of the body.

Sorting through symptoms and triggers can be very challenging. If these symptoms are troubling you or your child, food chemicals might be the trigger and it may be of benefit to trial dietary eliminations and modifications to assess whether diet plays a role.

Ines is an experienced Accredited Practising Dietitian and she can help sort through possible food intolerance symptoms and provide guidance and support through FODMAPsTM and RPAH Elimination diet (Failsafe).

Breastfed Babies

Breastfed babies may also be affected by food chemicals. Food chemicals pass through the breast milk of the breastfeeding mother and may irritate the immature gut of the baby.

Symptoms may include colicky irritable behaviour, loose stools, eczema and nappy rash.

In this case, the breastfeeding mother should undergo the RPAH Elimination diet to assess whether food chemicals play a role.


Food Allergies

It is important to differentiate between food allergies, food intolerances and even coeliac disease. Ines can help you with this.

Food allergy symptoms include:

  • recurrent hives and swellings, eczema, rashes
  • vomiting, diarrhoea, reflux, bloody and mucous poos
  • congestion, asthma, hayfever
  • anaphylaxis

Food allergies need to be diagnosed and managed by a Immunologist or Paediatric specialist. Under the management of your specialist, Ines can assist you with elimination diets, excluding the allergen from your diet, and suggestions for substitutes.

Are you unsure if Ines can help you and your child? Ines would be more than happy to answer your question, just contact Ines here.